Monday, November 18, 2013

comfort + joy

ahhh winter. 
It made a grand entrance this weekend 
as it drifted from the sky in big fluffy pieces. 
It fell and it fell and it fell allllllll day long.
It piled up high and left cheeks rosy.
The snow entertained them for hours. 
Angels and forts and a tiny little snowman.

I always forget how much I enjoy winter. 
I have the hardest time letting summer go each year--I am so nervous for what is coming....
....but then we have days like this, and I just love it.
There is so much comfort in winter.
So much joy.
Slower days, spent cozy inside. 
Memories from my own childhood replaying right before my eyes.
Hats, coats, boots, mittens. 
Snowflakes melting from their eyelashes as they sip their hot cocoa.
Fuzzy blankets, slippers, and long movies.
And cookies of course.
I love these days.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Days like this always call for soup.
I remember being little and playing outside in the snow.....and believe me, Montana knows how to do winter. Hot potato soup always tastes the best on the coldest nights. 
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Potato Bacon Chowder

4 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
1 onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 TBS chopped fresh rosemary
2 TBS chopped fresh thyme
5 extra large potatoes, diced
2 small apples, diced
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (more if you want it more "soupy"-- I wanted mine thick)
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup-1 cup whole milk

In a large pot, cook bacon pieces until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside. 
Using bacon grease (add a little olive oil if needed) saute onion until soft. 
Add in garlic and herbs and cook for a few more minutes. 
Add a big pinch of salt.
Stir in potatoes and apples and continue to cook for a couple minutes. 
Add in broth and bring to a boil. 
Cover and reduce heat a bit--continue to cook on a low boil until potatoes are tender--about 15-20 minutes. 
When potatoes are done, ladle half of the soup into a blender and puree. 
Stir blended soup back into pot and add cayenne, nutmeg, apple cider vinegar and milk. 
Add in bacon pieces.
Continue to cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes. 
Salt and pepper to taste ( I like lots of black pepper in my potato soup). 

enjoy! 

What's your favorite soup on a cold winter day?

blogged 3 years ago: 24 hours in San Francisco 

4 comments:

twinsontherun said...

I'm the same way..hate saying goodbye to summer but end up loving the beginning of winter. And I love it til January and by then I'm over it!
I love a creamy potato, bacon, kale soup. It never disappoints!

eden greer said...

I have never made potato soup with apples, I should probably make this asap! I love winter, it's my favorite! My favorite soup to eat on a cold day is my mother's potato soup, but lately my family has been diggin' your black and white chili recipe!

Unknown said...

love this and your blog. do you have desktop backgrounds coming up for november and december?

summer said...

FUN!!!
and mmm. this soup looks so great! I don't like potato soup that much normally, but this texture looks perfect!